The Awana 

  

 

 

This twin engine, troop carrying biplane held the record as the largest aircraft for many years.

 

Only two prototypes were built.  The first flight was made from Whitley on 28th June 1923 with pilot Captain F. Courtney.  These aircraft were then delivered to Martlesham Heath and were used for experimental purposes by the R.A.F.

 

 

Dimensions: -

 

Wing Area:  

2,309 sq. ft.

Length:    68 ft.
Height:   20 ft. 3in.
A.U.W.:    18,200 lb.
Engines:   2 Napier Lion liquid cooled in line engines of 900 h.p. total.

 

 

 

   

Back