The Beverley 

  

 

 

Although not designed or manufactured by A.W.A., the Beverley is included in this series because of its close association.   In fact, design responsibility for this aircraft was transferred from Brough to Coventry in May 1962 and held until July 1965, when Group re-organisation moved it on to Woodford. 

 

The Beverley is widely recognized as a rugged general transport aircraft with a great capacity for lifting bulky and heavy loads under adverse operating conditions.

 

 

The first order for two prototypes was on General Aircraft Limited, who later became merged with Blackburn Aircraft, the design being based on Air Ministry Specification C3/46.  Work commenced in 1946 and the first prototype, with Hercules engines, flew on 20th June 1950.

 

A change of engine was made on the second prototype, first flight June 1953, by the use of Bristol Centaurus engines and these continued throughout the run of 47 production aircraft. 

 

Five squadrons and one operational conversion unit were equipped with Beverleys and in 1965 there were 41 still in Service.

 

 

 

 

Power Plant:

 

4 Bristol Centaurus Mk 175, 2,850 h.p. each, 14 cylinder slide value. 

 

Dimensions:

 

Span                                       162 ft.

Length                                     99 ft. 5 in.

Height                                      38 ft. 5 in.

Wing Area                               2,916 sq. ft.

         

Weight:

 

135,000 lb. A.U.W.

  82,100 lb. without fuel, oil & payload.

 

Performance:

 

Max. Speed               238 mph at 5,700 ft.

Cruise Speed            223 mph at 5,000 ft.

 

Accommodation:

 

4 in Crew

Freight Hold 10 ft. wide x 40 ft. long.

94 Troops, or 70 Paratroops, or 82 Ambulance Cases.

 

   

Back